Friday, November 9, 2012

Wonderful Handmade U!

I am a bit slow in telling you all about the wonderful time I had at Handmade U...and a bit slower at finishing my projects, but my, is there anything more fun than a good art retreat? 


This one was wonderful!
I love getting together with old buddies and new and taking part in the joy of creating together.


Here I am with my dear art buddies, Hope Ellington and Donna Robinson. There is nothing quite as fun as being with people who love the same things that you do. 


Of course, there were swaps...
These are my folders for the ephemera swap. This is the front.


...and this is the back. That little face is me! I had so much fun playing with stencils! It is my new obsession!


There were so many beautiful bundles of treats!


The classes! Ah, the attention to detail! 

This greeted us the day we worked with Hope Wallace Karney (http://besottment.typepad.com).  How could you not be motivated?

Photo by Liesel Lund
We made these adorable journals from Cabinet Card folders. Mine is the partial one in the top right.

Photo by Liesel Lund

The next day Liesel Lund (http://liesel.typepad.com) helped us create a book from two vintage books, using one for the covers and the other for pages (along with all sorts of other wonderful bits of old paper). As you can see on the left side, we did actual binding of our books, sewing up sections or signatures, then sewing them to the binding tape at the side.

Hope and Liesel were two of the best teachers I have encountered. They were extremely generous with both their knowledge and their materials. They were well prepared and patient with all of us. 

Handmade U is the creation of Rachel Velder, who is one of the most lovely and gracious women you will encounter. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and felt enriched and pampered. You can be sure I will go again.



9 comments:

  1. so glad you went and had a good time. will have your bears done and ready to mail this week. Could you send me your email address or I guess I could message you on face book.
    happy weekend!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love that photo of you with Hope and Donna! It looks like it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a good time - you certainly deserve it. I wish you a blessed holiday season. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that you were able to get away and do something for just YOU! It's amazing how healing it is to create art with good friends.
    xo
    jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to see you had a great time Suz!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun classes! Hope is a sweetie!

    Sandy xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so tickled to see this post and to get to see and hear about what you've been up to dear Suz!
    You are so right about the joy of being with like minded creative types.
    And what lovely classes and goodies too.
    Hope you are still celebrating your birthday dear one
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. AND
    that picture of your is precious...what a darling girl you made!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you having so much creative fun, and thanks for sharing the details.

    ReplyDelete